Monday 3 September 2007

Fertility Matters

www.CAREfertility.com
The first IVF baby was born in 1978 and the science surrounding fertility healthcare has advanced incredibly quickly since. So says ays the literature from CARE. It goes onto say;
The process of reproduction is a highly complex one and any disruption can lead to infertility. However, whilst around one in 6 couples experience difficulty in achieving pregnancy, with help almost 90% of them can realize their dream of starting a family. Treatments are discussed such as ovulation induction, Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI), In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI). There were other procedures listed but these seemed even more like science fiction!! We also received information on the risks associated with Multiple Pregnancies and Births which I had not thought of before. Reading the literature given prior to and at our consultation, looking back it is no wonder I had a panic attack in the office. Not just thinking about the possible surgical implications but also the monetary ones!! (Our standard consultation was £140 plus £75 for a semen assessment. IVF was stated as being £2300). Added to that is that fact that; although CARE has a higher than average success rate, we were still looking at only a 21.1% for CARE or 18.3% National Average success rate (Live Births) for someone of my age (IVF&ICSI). www.hfea.gov.uk

Following Dales Semen assessment, our consultation was with Mr Ken Dowell (FRCOG Consultant Gynaecologist) who has many years experience in infertility diagnosis and treatment. He is particularly experienced in the diagnosis and management of male factor infertility, including surgical sperm recovery it says here…

Following the traumatic consultation (I had a panic attack), The Bull however, was on hand to remember the key points i.e. that he was ‘hung like a bull’ which, to be honest I am sure the Doctor did not say in quite so many words…..

We received a copy of the letter that Ken sent to our GP which generally stated that we were both healthy and there was no real reason why we had not conceived so far. To see what we had discussed in black and white was a shock and I was quite upset when I read it. I think it was the fear of further examination to see if my tubes were blocked. Again this was a procedure they could undertake at Nottingham (laparoscopy) – although they stated that because I had no belly button it would probably be easier if I arranged an ultra sound (HyCoSy tubal assessment - £300).

But then, after all that, I actually fell pregnant approximately one month after the consultation. Thereby negating any further visits. I at least proved that I could get pregnant. What happens next remains to be seen.....

No comments: