Thursday 23 October 2008

Scan at 11 weeks and 5 days

Well after a night of hardly any sleep we battled through the morning traffic to arrive just about on time. As usual there was no official place to park so we left it in a 'space' and hoped for the best. We didn't have to wait long for our scan but it was the same room as last time so I immediately felt apprehensive - not to mention sick from the full bladder. She did a quick scan and said she could hear a heart beat but could I let some of my bladder out as it was obstructing her view of the baby? This I did gladly!! As the scan shows there are 2 arms, 2 legs and a head - and a heartbeat. She gave me a new due date - 7th May 2009.

It was really weird looking at the screen and realising that that was going on inside of me. I don't think that had ever really occurred to me before....

Next was a urine sample and then we were taken to the Community Midwives. This set of offices looked like they were hidden in a cupboard and as it was early in the morning there was a lot of rushing around trying to organise visits and I think there was a bit of trouble as they were trying to locate someone...... Anyway, finally got seen and had my medical history and my blood pressure taken. The midwife was really nice and put me at ease and went through all that would happen in the next few months. Filled in my patient records - which I have to keep with me - and went through what I needed to do next i.e. prescription exemption form and book in my 16 weeks check with the midwife at my GP practice (who it appears is off sick!).

Next we were taken to another midwife and saw the consultant (or his registrar). Luckily it wasn't anyone we have met before in the world of the cyst, but saying that he spent 20minutes telling me things I already knew about the cyst. The one thing that was new was that if I had a cesarean they could take my cyst out at the same time!!! He then discussed the Downs Test but as I had already mentioned I was going to go private, it was agreed that this was the best option (especially at my age!). Then came the blood letting.....four vials of blood for various tests to make sure I am healthy - its a bit late if I'm not!! And then, over 2 hours later, I was allowed to go home with a pile of paper that a number of trees (if not forests) died producing.....so, if you will excuse me, I have some reading to do!!

No comments: