Tuesday 23 December 2008

20 week scan (20w + 5days)

After the upset of losing Burt and then having a terrible cough / cold / headache and being told there was nothing I could do about it except "paracetamol and liquids" I was feeling rather ill when we arrived at the hospital. Luckily our appointment was early morning and the Christmas rush had yet to start so we made it in plenty of time!! However, as I felt so bad I ended up buying chocolate and orange juice to try and 'boost me up'. This had the opposite effect and just after she had started my scan I threw up. Apparently though it wasn't too bad, as she has had people actually throw up on her and I did make it into one of those cardboard hats!!

She asked us if we wanted to know the sex. This is a question I have been asked quite a bit over the past few weeks and I have been amazed at how some people think I was some kind of spoil sport for wanting to know the sex before!! I was pleased to find out that my brothers bridesmaid (a week behind me) also wants to know the sex. She mentioned being a control freak.....

Don't think I could stand the suspense of not knowing and its one less thing to think about on the day. Sophie’s mum and dad said that they did not want to know but then Sophie’s dad was convinced he saw ‘meat and 2 veg’ on the scan and told us they were having a boy. We were very surprised therefore when the text came naming Sophie!!
So I am lying there - feeling next to death but looking at life wiggly in front of me and inside me. Still can't get over how truly weird it all is!! That is going on inside me - scary!! And she simply goes through her checklist of things - checking all is well. I don't think I was really listening. I just wanted her to get to the end so I could say 'nothing wrong then?' But when she got to the genitalia....

As we left we sent a few texts; just been for the scan. It's a....... The Bulls brother rang and throughout the day we spoke to a lot of people. It is amazing that all but one got the correct answer Its A Boy!!!!

No comments: