Thursday 30 October 2008

12 weeks 6 days

As I am an older mother to be, we decided to go private to have a Nuchal Translucency Scan with Nasal Bone Measurement and associated blood test. This tests for the probability of Downs, Edwards, Pataus and Turners Syndrome.

I was able to get the blood test done at my GP surgery on Wednesday - sending the package special delivery to Leeds straight after - and then had the scan yesterday. We arrived on time to find the lady who was before us walking around as the baby was not in position. She was having a 4D scan prior to birth. The Dr later told us that she already has 7 daughters and this one is also a girl! As well as that she has a sister who also has 7 daughters!! By the time she had finished I was bursting for the toilet and after a short while - as with my booking scan - the Dr asked if I would empty my bladder. After this the baby was still in the wrong position and so this time it was me having to walk around to see if 'he' would change position!! Finally got a reading and the results showed that I am 4x less likely to have a baby with one of the syndromes than an average woman of my age. Hopefully, when these results are combined with the blood test there will be a more accurate reading - and fingers crossed an even smaller chance!!

No comments: