Tuesday 27 January 2009

More about NOT Being Scared....

After my last couple of posts the latest email from Ingrid Bacci www.ingridbacci.com was a bit of a coincidence. She says:

"Every time we listen to the voice of fear, we damage our lives in the present and limit our potential for the future. If, however, we recognize that fear is our greatest enemy, and we learn to challenge, conquer and transcend it, we become free to genuinely create the lives we want. No matter what specific form it takes, fear is always fear of the unknown. In addition, fear is always fear of something that does not exist at the time we fear it. In the moment that we feel the fear, we are afraid of something that does not exist. It has not happened! But the consequence is that we destroy our peace of mind in the NOW. Even worse, fear increases the likelihood that the event we fear will happen. Worry about our health creates ill health.

People who worry tend to say that reality justifies their worries, and that they are only being realistic. But that is incorrect. Being realistic has nothing to do with being fear-based or worrying. For example, worrying about our health is quite different from being practical and resourceful about maintaining good health. In fact, if I obsess about my health, I am likely to undermine my health no matter how healthily I eat. If, one the other hand, I recognize that I am capable of influencing my health, and I am resourceful and do what is necessary in terms of nutrition, then I will improve my health without undermining it by my negative emotions. The same goes for all aspects of life.

Fear is an addiction. Addictions are habit forming. We act as though we need them, and at the same time they wreak havoc in our lives. Fear does exactly that. And as with all addictions, it takes discipline and perseverance to let go of fear."

No comments: