Tuesday 6 January 2009

2 Stone Heavier Already...

Weighed myself this morning for the first time post-Christmas and I have already gained 2 stone since becoming pregnant. BabyCentre at: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/tools/weightgain?_requestid=5328117 has a useful tool for calculating how much you should gain. It estimated I should gain 1 Stone 6 pounds in total!! Oh my god - its no wonder I feel so knackered all the time!! Had a bit of a search on the Internet and found this advice:

The expected weight gain in pregnancy is between 10 kg and 12.5 kg, and in most cases the vast proportion of this is gained in the last 20 weeks. This does vary enormously, and many women do find that they eat more than usual in the early months in response to nausea. The fact that you have gained more weight than expected by this stage in pregnancy is not anything to worry about. It would however be sensible to try to avoid excessive weight gain over the coming months. The answer does lie in eating sensibly (regular small meals and plenty of fruit and vegetables) and drinking plenty of water. Try to include small amounts of meat, fish, eggs, and pulses, and avoid high calorie convenience foods. If you need to snack between meals choose fruit or raw vegetables, or if you're really hungry, bread without butter. You do need to ensure that you have enough calcium. Skimmed milk contains more calcium, pint for pint, than full fat milk, and a pint of skimmed milk daily is a good addition to the diet of a pregnant woman. You don't mention whether you are exercising at all. It is certainly wise to try to keep fit in pregnancy. Although it's not a good idea to take up an energetic activity for the first time, even someone who has been relatively inactive would benefit from some swimming and walking on a regular basis. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/weightandnutrition/204703.html
Obvious really I know and I know I need to increase my exercise - no more junk food for me (and baby)!

No comments: