Saturday 25 April 2009

Saturday 11th April: Jamie is One Week Old

8.30am I said to one of the midwives that I thought my belly had been moving yesterday. She thought it was probably my bowels starting to move again. At last!

Jamie is now one week old. Ten years ago this weekend The Bull and I had our engagement party. The sun was shining then but today it is miserable. I am not bothered as I am not going anywhere til Monday (fingers crossed).

Paediatrician just been and said it usually takes about a week for a 35week preterm baby to catch up! I think Jamie is doing better. He is keeping his feeds down (I am up to 40ml expressed), his colour is good (test ok yesterday) and he seems more lively (which may not be such a good thing as he keeps pulling his tube out). Had a lovely midwife this evening (Victoria). However, she did tell us off for getting Jamie cold and his temperature dropping following his feed. Mainly due to taking his clothes off to change him (again and again).

The Easter Bunny arrived after all. Nanna brought Jamie a big Easter Bunny. Hannah sent some chocs in a Winnie the Pooh bucket and Kerry came this evening bearing an Easter egg as well as goodies for Jamie. I must say we have had other visitors since we have been in, but my one recommendation to anyone going to have a baby in hospital is to limit them! Its nice to see everyone but they do tire you out and in our case have interrupted times when we should be trying to feed him. Having said that Nanna has been very good with regards to washing etc. and Auntie Hannah went shopping today on our behalf to get a breast pump for when we get home.

10pm Pre-Jamie we always said we wouldn’t ‘do the poo’ conversation but now it seems we are obsessed with the contents of Jamie’s nappy (and his temperature and his weight of course). But also, I have just been to the toilet ‘properly’ for the first time since before the birth - God it felt good! Today I was given my own box of paracetamol to medicate myself.

Sunday 12th April Jamie is sucking his fingers like mad but put him where he should be and it is no more than a kiss. ‘Keep trying but don’t wear him out’ they keep saying! Managed to feed Jamie (via tube) using 100% of the good (expressed) stuff!

9pm watching Lewis. Had a little cry earlier and feel a little fretful but trying to remain calm. Supposed to be going home tomorrow and looking at Jamie I suddenly got really scared; what if they don’t discharge us? What if they do? This deep breathing however, does seem to be working. A few tears seem to help as well. And a nice cup of tea! Midwife visited later in the night who I had not seen for a few days and she said she thought Jamie had ‘filled out’ and that I was looking better. That certainly makes me feel a lot better / calmer.

No comments: