Tuesday 5 May 2009

Monday 13th April - Finally released!!

Today was rather stressful as I thought I would never get out. Although the Transitional Care Team had seen me and Jamie on Friday and had organized for my midwife to come Tuesday morning and for the team to come in Tuesday afternoon, the midwife who was looking after me Monday didn’t seem to know about any of this. She kept saying ‘I don’t think you will be going home while he still has his tube in’. I just kept saying (in an increasingly louder voice) ‘Its all been organised’. Finally, she spoke to someone on the Neo-natal unit who confirmed this was indeed the case but it seemed to take most of the day. But then suddenly we were outside for the first time in 13 days!!

I cannot stress how fantastic the Transitional Care Team were throughout the time we were under their care – both in hospital and once we got home. The team told us that they have only been in place since December; so if Jamie had been born before then he would have ended up on the Neonatal Unit and we would still have been in hospital. Apparently, it costs £400-600 per day to have a child in the Neonatal unit but it works out considerably cheaper in the community.

No comments: