Thursday 7 May 2009

Due Date

Today is Jamie’s official due date. But of course he will be 5 weeks old on Saturday. He now weighs 7lb 5oz (weighed Tuesday) and is gaining at a steady rate!! (Normal rate = 4-7oz a week). He has outgrown most of the ‘Tiny Baby’ clothes that he has been wearing since hospital and has moved up to ‘Newborn’ – but not for much longer I think! Visitors in the last few days have all commented on how much he has grown – chiefly because he has recently become a total milk monster!! I am still having the few odd tears but most of the time I do feel calmer. Daddy thinks the tears are because I have not really been out much (although I have had a number of visitors) and so today I have been trying to organise a few trips out for myself – with and without Jamie. Nanna has agreed to baby-sit for us in a few weeks, and today she fed and changed her grandson for the first time! One friend who visited this week told of a new mother who had a conversation with her about buying sausages – I don’t want this to happen to me. I can already feel my brain turning into a slow mush and I have had trouble remembering words; so I know I need to get out and interact with people other than my son. Daddy says this will also make me appreciate him more when I return. I have also given up on the dream of being a total earth mother and resigned myself to the fact that Jamie is not going to breast feed and he actually seems to like formulae milk. I have consequently stopped expressing milk, but can feel proud that Jamie had the ‘good stuff’ for the first 5 weeks of his life. This has already helped with my sanity as it gives me a few more hours in the day. Information regarding my breasts returning to ‘normal’ on the internet range from anywhere between 3 days to 3 weeks. I can’t say he is in any form of routine yet but I do feel it has (so far) been easier than expected….and I am enjoying motherhood so far – honest!!

No comments: