Tuesday 5 May 2009

Friday 17th April (Should be 37 weeks pregnant)

Transitional Care Team visited again. Jamie is sucking his hands but is still not going to the breast or waking to be fed. We are currently cup feeding him 10-20ml and the rest is going via the tube. It was suggested that we stroke his upper lip to try to get him to open his mouth to feed. However, Sue suggested that perhaps we were being too soft with him….

Saturday 18th April Should have been at a 40th party this evening but I had a long day and just felt like having a bath and sharing some quiet time with Jamie. Daddy has gone and taken the card and pressie but promised to be home for Jamie’s feed at 11pm. It was a bit of a stressful day as Jamie had pulled out his tube last night. This was fine to start with as we were able to get him to take 70ml via the cup. However, at the next feed he only managed 40ml. We ended up taking him to the Neonatal unit to have another tube fitted. It was Helen from the Transition Team who saw us and had a chat about his feeding etc. and gave us a few more tips about breast feeding. However, I feel I am all ‘tipped out’. We seem to have had loads of advice and yet he still refuses to latch on!! It’s no wonder I feel a bit tearful!

Sunday 19th April Quiet day at home today – mainly as we had put off visitors. We really needed time to ourselves. My Auntie (on my dad’s side) rang to see how we were as it turned out that, although my mum said she would keep her informed, she hadn’t and Auntie did not know I was out of hospital until she saw my cousin this morning who I had sent an email!!

Monday 20th April
Jamie was weighted again today and he is putting on weight nicely. Jamie’s first bath!! Must remember to put the cold water in first then add the hot. I had been to a demonstration on the ward but when you come to do it for the first time panic sets in.

No comments: