Friday 24 April 2009

1st April and Its No Joke!!

The next few days were terrible and looking back I now realize that my blood pressure must have been sky high and I felt continuously stressed!! I tried to follow the advice in books and on the internet about carpel tunnel – put hand above head and wriggle fingers - and for breathlessness; try to sleep in a semi-propped up position. As for the swelling it said to drink lots of water and avoid standing and salt (bang goes my salt and vinegar crisps!). I really did try to rest and relax but found myself constantly checking my emails and trying to finish my ‘to do’ list before the baby arrived…. On the Monday we had planned to have a day shopping as The Bull had booked a day off work but I really did not feel like leaving the house so we sat in the garden as the weather was so nice. On the Tuesday we had the car serviced which was perfect timing….

5.08am on the alarm and I woke up thinking ‘is that a discharge or something?’ and then I find myself stumbling to the toilet; holding myself. I wasn’t sure whether it was my waters breaking or whether I had wet myself, but sitting on the toilet I was sure it was my waters. The feeling was different to weeing – like from a different place – and it didn’t stop! The Bull rang the Assessment Centre who said to come straight away but to bring an overnight bag ‘just in case’. I was surprisingly calm and wandered round thinking of things to pack. Had to change my sanitary pads and knickers (and trousers) a number of times before we left. It was only once I got into the car that I began to worry about what was happening…..

Arrived at the hospital 5.45amish and was soon hooked up to the monitors and bloods taken. Baby OK, blood pressure high, protein in urine, but readings normal. Dr (same as Friday) came and this time did an internal to confirm it was my waters. He noted that I should be monitored (BP) every 4 hours and should stay in overnight to see what happens. Admitted onto the Assessment Centre Ward about 7.45am with antibiotics to stop the baby caching anything now that my waters had gone. 9am and blood pressure going back to normal. Still leaking but one thing I was not aware of prior was that your body continues to produce ‘waters’ even once they have broken. This ensures the baby remains safe. 10.45am Had a cup of tea. The Bull is bored and does not know what to do with himself so I sent him out for a walk / shop / toilet. Have spoken to mum and sent a load of text messages. The Dr says I need to stay in 24-48hours to see what happens. If nothing happens, there is talk of going home and then being induced at 37 weeks (2 weeks time). If labour does start the baby may have to go upstairs to the Neonatal Unit for a bit as he would be classified as premature. The sucking reflex was mentioned again as a problem for babies born this early. I am hot and uncomfortable and have been getting occasional pains across my belly. I can still feel the baby moving! Just have to wait and see what happens next.

10.30pm The Bull has gone after watching England beat the Ukraine. I had a bit of a wobble this afternoon just as my mum arrived (3.30pm). I came over all hot, sweaty and panicky but the Dr came and looked me over and said if I felt panicky later I could always have a sleeping tablet. I saw the Dr later on (on my way back from the toilet) and asked if there was anything else I could take but they suggested a nice walk!! Had my blood pressure taken just before the Bull left and it was normal as was my temperature so really nothing to worry about. Feel scared now am on own. Always thought that once your waters broke labour soon followed but this has not been the case with me – or it seems other ladies on this ward. Been told that your waters can actually re-seal themselves!! My waters however, are still flowing merrily along!!

No comments: