Friday 24 April 2009

Friday 3rd April

Dr visited at 9am to say ‘you can go home today’. Told that once I got home I should take my temperature 4 hourly and to ring if it rose. Also told come in if I experienced any sharp pains or if the colour of my waters became green or brown. Pink is Ok. I mentioned my constipation and I was told that senokot, as well as bran and fluids, were ok to take to relieve the symptoms. However, although the Dr said I could go home I had to wait for the midwife to discharge me. I was told that this would probably be about 10.30am. When the midwife came, she said she had been looking at my notes and felt I needed a scan to check my waters were enough to sustain a baby before she would let me home. She said it would not be until after lunch but it would be before 5pm as that was when she finished. However, found myself on the ground floor (where I had been for my 12 and 20 week scans) in my dressing gown and PJs about 11ish. The scan checked the amount of liquid around my belly and measured him. Told he would weigh 6lb 6oz if born now. After the scan I went back onto the ward but was feeling a bit rough. I was told the midwife who needed to discharge me had been called to the labour ward. I still had constipation and it started to get worse (like last night) so I asked if I could have something for the pain. I was given a suppository and a pair of rubber gloves. Ten minutes after doing the deed, I needed to go. The suppository came straight back. I thought perhaps it had not worked as I still had the pain but after talking to the Midwife she thought it might actually be contractions so put me on the monitor again and Yes!! She then did an internal and I was 3cm dilated!!

3pm given paracetamol and shortly after taken to labour ward. Had a bath and sat on a birthing ball when not being monitored. I lasted til 5.30pm without pain relief. Asked for Pethadine but given Diamorphine instead (similar stuff). However, this made me far too sleepy – although certainly a lot calmer and able to deal with the contractions. Just before 8pm and it was felt that my contractions may have stopped. Midwife gave me an internal– still on monitor – and I was 3-4cm dilated with a thin cervix – which is good!! As the cervix dilates about ½ cm an hour this would make the birth approximately 9am tomorrow. Decided to put me on a drip to help things along. ‘Start at 3ml and then raise 3ml every half hour.’

The Bulls brother and his wife arrived to pick up the keys; armed with provisions– including a bottle of whisky! When they left Cheltenham for a weekend in Lincoln, I was about to be discharged and they did not believe The Bull when he rang to say I was in labour!! Luckily we had a spare set of house keys at the hospital. I managed to wave to them in the car park from vantage point in Cathedral view. So, the first time I see little cousin Lucy is from the 5th floor!

The labour room itself was very nice and other than the view I had my own en-suite and the ability to turn the lighting down to a low level rather than the sharp bright lights! We also had access to the TV and Dale paid for a days worth which also included a games package so he was happy playing Hangman! I did notice that, although we were told we could take relaxation CDs, tapes etc. there was no player in the room! There was a NCT poster on the wall (which the Bull found highly amusing for some reason) ‘Positions to make your labour shorter and easier’. However, as mostly on the monitor did not really get a chance to try any of them!!

Rang mum, to tell her what was happening, and she said ‘I’ll pop up during visiting hours then’. Not sure she quite realized what was going on!!

At 9.15pm my midwife Gemma appeared- starting her night shift. She promised that I would have had the baby before the end of her shift at 7.30am. The midwives I saw prior to Gemma had asked about how I was going to feed him and both explained about expressing if he had to have a tube up his nose due to his age / size. Discussed formulae etc. with Gemma. Felt more at ease with her. She asked about what kind of pain relief I wanted and she was happy with the gas and air and the epidural route and at just after 12.30am she called in Dr Dale…..

No comments: