Friday 21 November 2008

16 weeks

Thursday night I had a BodyShop Party at my house and, although not everyone came who I invited, there were enough to make it a nice evening - any more and I may have been too stressed!! Although I did think there was a little too much baby talk going on...... I felt fine-ish during the evening but was aware of feeling uncomfortable when I sat down too long or at a funny angle, and then I woke Friday morning with the period-like pains I have had over the last few weeks again. As I was off work I thought it better that I go and see the Dr just to be sure but first I had a look on the Internet: If you experience unexpected abdominal and pelvic pain during pregnancy, it's easy to worry. But whilst some pain may need medical attention, sometimes instances of pain are relatively harmless.

During the third or fourth month of pregnancy, women frequently get a sharp stabbing pain in their groin or to one side. It may come on at sudden intervals, might be worse if you suddenly get up, stretch or move and it might disappear then reappear a few days later. It can be really worrying to suddenly get pains like this, but usually it's due to the ligaments or muscles around your uterus in your pelvis stretch and thicken as they support your growing baby.
Constipation, bloating and wind can also cause aches, pains and abdominal discomfort. Constipation is often caused by the pressure of your growing bump on your rectum, as well as hormones which are said to slow down the movement of food through your digestive system. These factors are also involved in bloating and wind too, with your growing uterus pressing on your intestines and causing wind. http://www.babyandpregnancy.co.uk/AbdominalPelvicPainPregnancy.html

Then I convinced myself I had symphysis publis dysfunction as the symptoms include:

Pain in your pubic area and groin.
Pain in the inside of your thighs.
Lower back and hip pain.
Pain when you walk, move or go up stairs.
A clicking sound that you can hear.
A feeling that your bones are grinding together.
Difficulty and pain when you try and open your legs.

However, the Dr seems to think it is a urine infection. So she has put me on a 5 day course of anti-biotics (Amoxicillin). Then I panicked (again) as I read the paperwork that came with the tablets and it said; 'only recommended during pregnancy where the benefits of the drug outweigh the possible hazards to the unborn baby.' Further searching on the Internet calmed my fears though.

Oh yes, and I was able to hear baby's heart beat again yesterday so once more feel calmer...

No comments: