Thursday 27 September 2012

Why? Why? Why?

Why is the sky blue? Why do I have to go to bed? Why are there wars? Why do people get hiccups? Why do I have to eat my dinner before my pudding? Why do people die? Why do cats have fur? Why do I have to go to school? Why mustn't you pick your nose in public? Why do you always make that funny face when I keep asking you questions?

Small humans ask a lot of questions. It's how they aim to make sense of the world (good luck with that one) and it's entirely natural. It can also be entirely exasperating at times for parents whose offspring clearly expect them to be experts in everything.

Let me ask you a question of my own, though, one fairly grown-up human to another. Do you think that in general children's answer-seeking makes them happy or unhappy? I suspect it's the former, don't you?

When you're preoccupied with attempting to understand life, you probably have little time left to mope and ruminate. Noticing the world around you and attempting to work it all out is pretty much a full-time job for kids, who on the whole (you may have noticed) tend to take a positive view of things.

Of course, it would be over-simplistic (or would it?) to suggest that acting like a kid is a good mental health strategy, but I'm sure there's value in remembering a few of the things you did naturally when you were knee-high to a grasshopper.

Rather than simply taking everything around you at face-value, why not relive the feeling of being intensely curious? Study things as if for the first time. Take notice. Ask questions. It's what you did as a youngster, so what's to stop you doing so again?

www.moodscope.com/blog/why-why-why

No comments: