Wednesday 19 September 2012

Who is (still) sleeping in my bed?

Whisper it very quietly, but Jamie is still sleeping in our bed.  I know, I know, he is well over 3 now and still continues to spend every night in our bed.  

The trouble is that he now thinks this is normal, and I worry that making him sleep in his own bed will only make him feel we don't love him....

But, after an awful night on the Saturday; where I had hardly any sleep due to little feet, we decided to put Jamie in his own bed from then on.  I have had a star chart for a few weeks that I had made by the same lady who made the Fireman Sam chart.  This worked for toilet training, so we sat Jamie down and explained that we needed him to sleep in his own bed and that every time he did we would give him a sticker.  Once the chart was full - 10 stops with 3 stars on each - Jamie could have a trip to the Toy Shop!! 

Daddy was on earlies the week beginning the 10th September so we started on the Sunday night.  Initially we agreed that it would be TV up to 7pm only and then after that it was books - in Jamie's bed!

We managed to get Jamie to at least start off in his bed - even if he didn't end up there.  However, there was one night (the Wednesday that Jamie was sent home from Nursery) when we were woken up at 1am to the sounds of Jamie sobbing.  When I went in he was inconsolable and I had to try and explain that mummy and daddy did love him, it wasn't that we didn't want him in bed with us, it was just he was getting too big!  Of course I let him sleep the rest of the night with us....  After that he kept saying that he would not kick anymore and, to be honest when he was in bed with us, he didn't!

I think daddy found it quite hard work; one night finding Jamie standing outside our door, afraid to come any further into the room.  It was a very difficult week; only helped with daddy showing old Fireman Sam's on his mobile. 

Of course Friday night both Grandad and Uncle Paul came for a visit so it was well past 9pm before he went to bed!!  And then the weekend came....

And then Daddy was on lates again, which meant mummy was not very strict.  She just likes Jamie in bed with her!!   Daddy is not happy that mummy has reversed last weeks 'training' - not to mention Jamie's 3 stars!!

"But I like Cuddles, Mummy."  Mummy likes cuddles too!!

No comments: