Thursday 11 July 2013

Chat with Jamie's Teacher

Following my chat with Jamie's keyworker, see: http://grumpymumtobe.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/chat-with-jamies-key-worker.html)   I was glad of the chance to have a short chat with Jamie's teacher. 

I discussed the key worker chat, and said that I agreed with her that Jamie lacks confidence in social situations and often needs a lot of encouragement to join in.  Jamie has never been one to push himself forward, but if feeling confident there is no stopping him!

I told her about the morning at the fire station when he said he did not want to use the water hose, but when I took him forward with me, he was soon having a fantastic time - on his own - not noticing that I had stood back!

She asked what he liked, so I of course said superheroes, and told him that everything was a Superhero at the moment.  I said about not agreeing with his keyworker about his 'imagination' (below expectations) and described Jamie and daddy in the garden the night before; building a castle for the Hulk to break down!

She asked about his literacy and I told her about cousin Lucy being able to read already, but that Jamie could already recognise a lot of letters - certainly those in his first name and some of his second.  I said we did a lot of reading and Jamie tried to follow the words as I read.

As for numeracy.  I told her how he will often count 1 to 20 when playing hide and seek, but when asked to count to 20 can't sometimes do it!  Too much pressure!

I said we did not think he was that sporty, but he does love music and dancing!  I also told her daddy was grade 7 at piano and could play the guitar.....

She seemed happy with what I told her and said the main areas we needed to work on with Jamie over the summer were dressing himself and toileting.

No comments: