Friday 5 July 2013

Chat with Jamies Key worker

Got a bit worried last week as we got sent home a sheet - a copy of which will be sent to Jamie's new school - that lists how he is doing at the moment.  This is based on the Early Years Foundation, which has 7 areas of learning and development which are inter-connected and used to assess a child's development from birth to the end of their first (reception) year in school. 

The prime areas being; communication and language, physical development and personal, social and emotional development.  The other 4 areas are; literacy, mathematics, understanding the world, and expressive arts and design.   Jamie was ranked 'As Expected', 'Beyond Expectation' and then 'Below'.

Now, I wasn't expecting him to be 'Beyond' in any, but I was surprised at how many he seemed to be below expectations...  I therefore asked to have a chat with his key worker so she could show me what each section consisted of and what Jamie was being ranked against.

I have to say that I did actually agree with what she (mostly) had to say, but there were a few discrepancies between what they see at Pre-school and what we see at home.

The general feeling is that Jamie lacks confidence and would rather hang back than join in.  We talked about what he is good at and because of this I have put him down for street dance rather than football this term!  I am hoping this will bring him out of the shell that seems to exist when in the 'outside world'.  It certainly does not exist at home!

I found this chat quite emotional.  I even asked if she thought he might be 'Autistic' to which she replied;  "We are all on the Autistic spectrum somewhere!!"   Not sure this made me feel any better....

Got a meeting with Jamie's teacher on Wednesday so hopefully will be able to address some of the issues raised with her.

No comments: