Tuesday 7 August 2007

California Dreaming

I think I am finally getting used to the idea - not just of having a baby, but also to the idea of having a child and being involved in their growth and development. This has mainly been sparked by some great TV that I have been forced to watch while I try to make 13 weeks. There have been a number of 'Incredible Brain' documentaries but also BBC2 have been showing Animal Park: Wild on the West Coast which has focused on the endangered species in California. In 1993 I was lucky enough to be able to visit America; including California where I met some fantastic people - Shad, Chris, Deloris, Gray and Andy etc. - pause while I go off dreaming of Monterey Bay, 17 Mile Drive, Pebble Beach Golf Club, Carmel, Clint Eastwood, Sly McFlys, the Pacific Coast Highway which led us to LA, Muscle Beach, Venice Beach, being rescued by Bay Watch, the hysterical Hat Shop, fabulous memories.....

Back to reality....While there, we were able to observe the work that goes on at the Monterey Bay Aquarium http://www.mbayaq.org/ I love otters and sea otters, but California sea otters numbers are not as they should be. Watching Animal Park has brought back some beautiful memories but also makes me think about the future of the planet and what my child will have to deal with. One thing is for certain, when they are old enough, I intend to take them to California, and meet the sea otters.

No comments: