Thursday 1 July 2010

Three Years On...

Yes, I have now been writing this blog for 3 years. I no longer dwell on what happened prior to September 2008 - although that does not mean I have given up on the idea of suing the hospital just yet!!
Two Year summary at: http://grumpymumtobe.blogspot.com/2009/07/two-years-later.html

To be honest, the last year has been a bit of a blur. Jamie has grown up very fast and changes happen everyday. I am scared that I may have missed writing about some of them on my blog, but I have learned to appreciate that it is the time spent with Jamie that is the most precious. These days will never return and although my house is not the clean palace it once was, mummy is not the slim (I wish!) fashionable, fit girl she once was, and that novel I keep saying I am going to write still remains no more than a pile of paper, I would not have it any other way!!

In the last year I have learnt a lot about friendship; we see more of some people and less of others. When you have a baby to consider, those 'friends' for whom the effort was all on your side will slip away without you even noticing! My social circle has more 'Yummy Mummy's' in now and we have started to organise nights out every few months as a group. The value of baby groups cannot be underestimated. When you have had a bad night you will usually find someone there with a similar experience. When you have a child, other people with children (and don't forget Grandmothers) will always smile at you in the street and often speak as well! Its like some form of secret society.....

We did find weaning difficult - I felt overwhelmed with all the information!! But now at nearly 15months Jamie is just about on track. He eats with his fingers and has a similar diet to mummy and daddy; although we do still give him some of the 12month+ meals during the day to ensure he has a 'balanced' diet. We do need a no spill bottle for his juice however. I have seen the one I want as some of the girls at BabySigning this week had one.... He is on full fat milk now which he drinks first thing along with his weetabix, as well as last thing at night. Oh and he loves chocolate (thanks to Grandad) and so we make sure he brushes his teeth - currently standing at 10.

Pointing is Jamie's thing at the moment. We are not sure who started it, but I have a suspicion it was Nanna! Books are his favourite thing to point at and he will listen to the same story over and over, or until he finds something else to point at! And he has started to actually watch the TV. He loves In the Night Garden but we do try to restrict his viewing.

He isn't exactly speaking yet but we are beginning to understand some of what he says and I think he understands a lot of what we say; 'doggy,' 'pussy cat,' 'juice,' 'mummy' etc. He also has begun to grasp what some things actually 'do' i.e. like pushing a button starts the music or sets off the intercom. He has started to understand what goes where; like the rose on the end of the watering can nose, or the pieces in the jigsaw.

The De-cluttering continues on a new level every month. Just as you think you have moved things out of reach, Jamie learns a new skill. His new trick is to pull a chair out so he can climb on it and onto the table! No wonder mummy drinks (or she would if she had the time to go and buy it!). I still find it stressful leaving Jamie. Consequently we don't seem to have gone out much lately; although I have stopped crying when we do!!

Mummy is getting more chilled about things and is slowly loosing weight. I did not get to pre-pregnancy weight for Jamie's 1st birthday (new years resolution) but am still hoping to reach it very soon. In the last few weeks I have started walking a lot more in readiness for the St Barnabas Midnight (6mile) Walk on the 17th July, See: www.justgiving.com/JoBoStBMidnightWalk and hope to continue walking once it is over.

Last week was my last week working at the Library Services and I do miss it, but what is nice is that Grandma and Granddad are still going to have Jamie for me during the week so I can catch up on things. In return for Auntie Hannah having had Jamie every Thursday, we are now having cousin Noah on a Monday.... Not sure about whether I will get another job or whether we can afford for me to not have one, but I have continued to keep a record of how much we spend: http://grumpymumtobe.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-will-it-cost.html

What about a brother or sister? We are not trying but we are not, not trying?

No comments: