Saturday 7 March 2009

Trip to the Hospital

Got a little panicky on Thursday and then again Friday as I thought baby was moving less than he had been. He was certainly still moving but I thought it was less noticeable. Friday night about 4.30pm I rang the 24hr Assessment Unit at the hospital for some reassurance, but instead of saying 'Its Normal', the Midwife told me to come in about 8pm. Those few hours were torment - especially as the Bull should have been meeting his friends for a few drinks at 5pm and then wetting the babies head (Ella's) at 7.30pm. We arrived just after 7.45pm to be told there may be a wait as other mother's had come in. Luckily, we were seen just after 8.15pm. We were taken to a side room and hooked up to a monitor measuring baby's heartbeat and something else - contractions? I got a bit worried watching the figures change so rapidly; especially as the Midwife said his heartbeat should be a max of 165 and it went higher, but she later explained that this was when he moved. She also made me push a button every time I felt him, and it seemed that he moved quite a bit; especially when we were talking!

The Midwife let us go after about 45mins; saying all was well. Notes say: 'Accelerations evident, No Decelerations, Good Variability'. She said that the perceived lack of movement was probably due to my leaving work and resting due to my back. She said if I felt worried again I was to go up straight away, but that having a bath or sitting quiet for half an hour would probably ensure we could feel him. She also said that my side pain was probably muscle pain.

Got home and felt relieved but also a bit panicky. Have now begun to get panicky about the fact I might panic in the next few months!! But I know that this can be dealt with by eating healthily, exercising, resting and practicing deep breathing, so its time to really start looking after myself (and baby!). No more junk food and I need to get out in the fresh air more.

No comments: