Tuesday 10 March 2009

Parent Craft Class: Week Two

Made the Bull have the day off work today so that he didn’t miss tonight’s Parent Craft Class. This meant we had the day to go shopping and ended up spending approx £140 on baby related goods from Boots and Mothercare – the most expensive purchase being a new mattress for the cot that we had been given. We found this purchase rather complicated as we weren’t sure what mattress and / or bedding we needed / wanted, but a nice lady from Mothercare sorted us out. We are currently going for a Winnie the Pooh theme…

Treated ourselves with lunch in the pub but then I had to come home for a rest!! The major drawback today was that by the time we got into town I needed to go to the toilet which meant having to use the public ones in the bus station – not very nice at all!!

In the end we were glad we made the effort to go to the PCC. All the other couples made a return visit – including coatboy – and everyone was a lot more chatty and less nervous this week. The evening focused on the actual labour and giving birth and I honestly came away feeling a lot calmer about the whole ‘event’. I have more of an idea about the stages of labour and the pain relief that may be required. Must remember to ask for the Pethidine early on – as this will calm me if I get panicky. Also need to remember other relaxation techniques prior to full labour – massage, water, keeping mobile, music etc. especially my breathing (Slowly and Deeply). Need to also investigate the use of a Tens machine as this might also help with my back ache. Currently I am trying to ease the pain with the help of a very attractive support belt and support knickers!! (Forgot to mention that I did go to the Drs with regards to my back but she wasn't much help at all and suggested the pain was because of my age).

Have I mentioned that people have started knitting for us? Very impressive pair of socks / booties (white with a blue trim) and a hat from Nanna. Can't get over how impressed I am with them - especially as she will be 89 this year!!

No comments: