Wednesday 4 March 2009

Parent Craft Class: Week One

Repeat after me; 'Breast is Best, Breast is Best, Breast is Best'.....Over and over again!!

We were both nervous -yes, I made The Bull come to - but I don't think we were the worst. There were 6 couples altogether and the midwife running the course (with help from a Parenting Support Worker) made us all go around and introduce ourselves. I didn't look the oldest. In fact, there were two girls (and their partners) who I thought were about my age, so that made me feel better. (Although I may have been the biggest!!) I knew The Bull hated all the 'group work' but there was another partner who sat in his coat all night and did not speak. His wife/girlfriend ended up sat next to me and she was very nice. When she introduced them she informed us they were having twin girls. Between the group the sex was split equally (3 boys, 3 girls) with only one couple not knowing what they were having. Due dates ranged from between April to July (twins).

I can't say I learnt an awful lot but I did learn some things about Breast feeding I had been unaware of. I didn't realise you could freeze breast milk... The only drawback was I am still confused with regards to bottle feeding and equipment required. There was no discussion and I felt that any question was deflected back to 'Breast is Best'.

I found the whole evening quite frightening. There I was sat with 5 other pregnant ladies; looking at the size of their bumps and talking about breast feeding - very scary. It has all become very real all of a sudden!!

No comments: