Tuesday 6 September 2011

Bionic Mummy

Today I honestly felt like something out of a science fiction film; as I lay on the Drs couch staring up at a bright white ceiling while an implant was put in my arm.

After 'Trying, but not really trying' since Jamie was born nearly two and a half years ago, we finally decided to call it a day. Jamie is a wonderful child. I really could not ask for more and if I had my time again I would have had 3 or 4, but I am on the wrong side of 40 now and its hard work; not to mention all the risks associated with an older pregnancy!!

So I am now the proud owner of a contraceptive implant in my left arm. At the moment it is still sore and I can feel the implant if I push on the surface. Apparently I will always be able to feel it but in a few days the bruising and swelling should have subsided.

How do I feel? While sitting in the waiting room there was a little boy with his mummy, who was probably 8 months old. He was so cute and cuddly and I was torn for a moment or two. But when I left the surgery, I felt a sense of relief. From now on I know that the future contains only one child and we can give him everything. It also means me and daddy can get on with our lives and stop thinking 'what if I get pregnant?' Daddy can concentrate on his music and I can concentrate on my writing as well as getting back to the person I was before I initially became pregnant - and that person was a stone and a half lighter!!

To this end I have rejoined weight watchers and tonight will be my second week. I intend to loose a stone before Christmas and buy a lovely new dress to go out in and show off the 'new' me!!

No comments: