Sunday 26 July 2009

16weeks / 4months

Can't believe that Jamie was 4 months old yesterday - where has all the time gone?

As for his development, we were warned that as he was 5weeks early he may remain 5weeks behind for a while. However, this does not seem to have been the case. He is certainly following the 50th centile line for his weight and the 75th for his length. When he was weighed on the 16th July (when he had his 2nd lot of jabs) he was 12lb 5. This week he rolled over for the first time unaided and I have caught his lying on his side a few times. Also, he has begun to gurgle quite happily first thing in a morning and then about tea time, and it even seems as if he is trying to form words himself; especially when he is sat on mine or Daddy's knee and watches us speaking. He seems to especially enjoy the oooh sound and the corresponding lip movements. I have read that now is the time to provide a running commentary to what you are doing. Your baby may begin to be able to repeat sounds he hears you make, but they will probably sound more like ahh, boo, caa than anything that resembles a word. When he makes a sound like ‘ahh-coo’ repeat it back to him so he can hear what it sounds like. We started reading to Jamie quite early on but now Jamie seems to be getting more involved - actually looking at the corresponding pictures in the books.

I was disappointed this week as I have been waiting to attend a Baby Massage course and I finally get a place for a two week course starting this Wednesday, only to be told that due to the Swine Flu 'epidemic' and the surgery being used as a pick up point they have decided to cancel the group. I am also booked in on a 'Weaning' course in a few weeks but have not heard whether or not that will be going ahead....

Now that Jamie has started to become more or a 'character' - becoming vocal, interacting and so much more interested in his surroundings, I really want to get him to engage with more children. I also feel that I need to meet more mums. As I said I have attended a few of the Friday morning sessions but unfortunately this week will be the last one. I have therefore asked the local NCT group for details of the groups they run and I am going to try to attend one or two in the next couple of weeks - although I think some of them might be breaking up for the summer hols!! I must also make an effort to visit my other friends with children of a similar age.

1 comment:

kestrel said...

hello, dropping by and caught your blog. My little girl is 13 now and like you said, time just flies. I like the cool blue sun glasses. Enjoy every minute, every move cos they grow so fast and a little mumble today is a clear sentence soo. you long to hear the old mumbles but moments like that do not return.