Saturday 21 May 2011

Teeth....

Mummy has had a sore tooth this week. I think one of my (very) old fillings may be working loose. I forgot to mention that at his Two Year Check they asked about Jamie's teeth and whether we/he was cleaning them. I said that he always wants to have his toothbrush whenever he sees us cleaning our teeth, but whether he is actually brushing them is another matter. She suggested trying to clean then for him but do it as part of a game and let him clean my teeth at the same time!!

Somewhere along the line I acquired a leaflet which states we should start brushing our child's teeth twice a day as soon as the first tooth appears! All of the toothbrushes we have used so far have been given to us - I think all of them have come from the SureStart Centres. I think I have bought the last lot of toothpaste but again I think the first few tubes were freebies.

Reading the leaflet I seem to be cleaning my own teeth wrongly. The leaflet says to apply toothpaste to the dry toothbrush and after brushing spit out only and do not rinse with water. The leaflet states that we should supervise brushing until they are at least 7 years old and:


  • The easiest way to brush children's teeth is from behind. For a young child, sit them on your knee, or stand or sit behind them.

  • Cradle their chin in your hand with their head resting against your chest. This way you can see into their mouth and reach their top and bottom teeth more easily.

  • Always brush gently by moving the brush backwards and forwards in small circular, movements, bristles angled towards the gums.

  • Be gentle. Brush all round - don't miss any surfaces of the teeth.

  • After brushing the child should spit out only, not rinse with water (the fluoride left in the mouth will work after brushing).

  • Some dislike having their teeth cleaned so try and make it a fun part of your child's routine.

  • Change your toothbrush every 3 months or sooner if it gets out of shape.

Leaflet produced by: http://www.amsinternational.net/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your idea on having your kids sit on your lap. I have never thought of that and my son is 5! That might be a good thing to try for my 2 year old daughter, as she doesn't always sit still! What a great article this is. Very helpful. I have found this Mom's Guide to be of great help too. www.1dental.com/moms-guide/ It gives tips on how to care for your children's teeth also, and how to make it fun for them. I hope you find some more great ideas that you can implement!