Sunday 4 April 2010

Happy 1st Bday - Hints on Holding a Party!!

Where has the year gone? Organised a party for Jamie and a ‘few’ friends and stressed myself silly about it all week, but thanks to some wonderful helpers the afternoon was fantastic. Jamie didn't want it to end. He was a model baby all the way through and we couldn't get him to sleep at his usual time as he was still too excited; what with all the cards and presents he received (and don't forget all the boxes and wrapping paper they all came in!)

As Jamie has always loved the Iggle Piggle that Nanna B gave him, we decided to do an 'In the Night Garden' themed party. Most of the tableware (Plates, Banners, Tablecloths) were purchased from ebay along with some 1st birthday banners and balloons. And I also bought a few multi packs of Night Garden bubbles which went down a storm with the children (and also in some cases went all over the floor!) It pays to have a creative friend and Kerry was fantastic. She not only made the wonderful Iggle Piggle cake but also did a 'Pin the Blanket on the Iggle Piggle' game and made two Nicky Nonk Piñatas!! I made my very first pass the parcel and had to be told about the protocol of making sure there were enough wrappers so that every child had a wrapper to open (and prize) each. I don't remember it being like that in my day!! I also wrapped a number of extra prizes, and with it being Easter was able to get away with Kinder eggs, Cream Eggs and more chocolate! Towards the end I gave every child an egg or small mars bar. I had though of an egg and spoon race but I don't think the hall was quite large enough....

Big Thanks also to my mum (Chick Cakes), my brother and sister in law (fantastic cheesecake) who came early to the house and helped with the preparations. Do you know there are 18slices of bread in a 'Best Of Both' loaf? Also Michelle and the twins who turned up early at the hall and helped blow up a few balloons and put up a few banners for me!

Following our brilliant New Years Eve http://grumpymumtobe.blogspot.com/2010/01/happy-new-year.html we decided to hire the Church Hall again. It was truly a bargain at £7.50 an hour. We hired it from 2-5pm but was allowed in from 1.30pm and given til 5.30pm to set up and clear away. The food however, was less of a bargain at just over £100 (this does include some beer and wine for post party analysis purposes!). This was Daddy's contribution to the party; although he did burn a few pizzas as well!! A total of 26 adults came and 18 children (44 in total) 7 under 18months and 11 over 18months with the oldest being 9 years. There were a few who could not come because of prior arrangements and a few who didn’t make it due to illness on the day.

Hints and Tips for future parties:
Accept any help offered. As I said, I couldn’t have done it without my wonderful friends and family!! Afterwards I sent a number of Thank You cards and bottles to emphasise how much I appreciated them. Hopefully, I will be able to call on them again next year….

I made my own invitations and sent them electronically where possible (text or email). But not all invitations need to be to friends of the birthday boy / girl. It can be a good excuse to catch up with a few 'yummy mummy’s' whose children may be a little older. Remember to circulate and talk to all of the parents who do come though - it will be worth it!!

Allow for people to drop out and people to join in. We had 7 missing on the day from our original numbers due to illness, and after receiving an unexpected card from a neighbour invited them along (although they didn't actually arrive!)

People aren’t that bothered about the food. Next time we need to buy less; thereby saving both time and money. We made way too many sandwiches when all anyone really wanted was a pot of tea and a sausage roll or two. Both the adults and the children however, loved the chocolate!! It seems people with younger children usually bring their own food. I did have some baby biscuits and baby yogurts but all seemed happy with what they brought themselves.

Don't fret too much about having every minute organised. Children love just running around and shouting about and the church hall certainly allowed that. I would have been going insane after 5 minutes if I had hosted it at the house! Take a few toys for the younger ones to play with. My mum had been given a small ride-on car and a plastic rocking horse which both went down very well. I also bought some soft play mats for the party, but have used them nearly every day since I bought them so feel it was worth the expense. They are perfect for a little boy who is 'cruising' at the moment.

Make sure birthday boy / girl has a long nap in the morning and doesn't get too stimulated. Jamie managed to stay awake for all the party with only a couple of re-fuellings, but we had been conscious not to do too much with him in the morning and in fact he had an extended nap which paid dividends in the afternoon!

Don't forget plenty of bibs and a few changes of clothes for birthday boy (or girl). Daddy felt he should have also taken a change of clothes after Jamie threw up on him!

Don't forget your camera and plenty of 'space' on your memory card / films so you can take loads of pictures. I took nearly 150 photos and videos!! My brother did a small film on his camcorder. And thanks to Paul for bringing his CD player along with a few CDs ranging from Nursery Rhymes to Lady Gaga.

Take along blutac, sellotape and scissors for putting up banners and balloons and last minute decorations. And don’t forget tea towels, washing up liquid and bin bags to help clear away efficiently.

Afterwards, find out whose birthday it is next and offer them the banners / tablecloths and leftover plates / cups etc. Our theme was In the Night Garden and it is guaranteed that this time next year Jamie will be interested in something else.

Try to remember who brought what present. We received lots of lovely presents - all wrapped up in wonderful paper. However, some of them did not have a tag on them and so we are unsure of who bought what!!

You don't have to provide a party bag for every child but they might want a piece of cake to take home with them. We forgot to cut the cake during the party - although of course we all sang Happy Birthday!!

2 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Great post with so much useful advice. It's a great discussion that you've set up on British Mummy Bloggers. I've posted up some links to some of my favourite parties we've held over the years with our children. I always love reading other people's ideas.

parentshaped said...

Brilliant post! I agree with the advice too having older children who are now 9 and 12. I still have a nearly 5 year old and a 2 year old though and have to confess the birthday thing still produces anxiety above the normal levels. Nowadays I have decided to take the children to a local destination with 3 of their best friends rather than holding a party at home or even arranging one elsewhere, all of which I have done. For example last year we took the children to paint a plate locally at a farm and this year we are going to Chester Zoo for my daughter. I am never the less still concerned about the cake.Any ideas are very gratefully received.