Saturday 9 January 2010

9 Months Old

We had our 8 month visit on Tuesday from the Health Visitor. Jamie now weighs 19.5lbs. His length is 71cm and his head circumference is 45.5cm. All this means he is still following the 50th centile line quite nicely.

The Health Visitor asked loads of questions about me and Jamie. I am suffering with a bad back at the moment. This, she pointed out, could have been aggravated by having to chase after the ever mobile Jamie. Daddy simply pointed out it might be the extra weight I am carrying. According to the gm.tv Dancing Queen website my BMI is 28.2 = Overweight!!

She could see straight away that Jamie is very active; as he was into everything the whole time she was here! She saw him crawling and said that although he used his arms more than his legs, he was certainly moving about as he should, and the legs would soon follow. He sat up straight(ish) and for a short time unaided – show off! She was pleased with his head shape – no longer as flat as it was, and even called him ‘cute’. I mentioned we often put him in the baby walker, and she said babies often move backwards before they move forwards so not to worry he was only going one way at the moment!

I explained we had been having problems with feeding Jamie and him not taking the Stage 2 meals. I had been out first thing to buy more Stage 1 meals, but was told to persevere with Stage 2 and even let him eat whatever we eat. Also to give him plenty of finger foods to play with. This will also help with his development. I asked about the flavoured mineral water we gave him last week, but she suggested water only with his meals; as a lot of the juices contain too much sugar. We have been giving him a bottle of milk with his meals but he doesn’t necessarily need one (he certainly hasn’t finished the one I just gave him with his dinner). As he is getting nearer to one year we should start giving him full fat cows milk in his beaker and at a year he can stop the formulae altogether. She also pointed out (which hadn’t occurred to me) that with him moving about more this would make him hungrier!!

She could see I was a bit upset with regards to his feeding. I said we had attempted to make our own meals but our attempts had been less than successful as Jamie had been sick. She added that as he was not totally confident with his sitting, he may not yet be fully ready for the next step – but the word given was PERSEVERE! I made a list of foods to try with him and she said she would get one of her colleagues to give me a call in a few weeks to see how I was doing! (We are being visited on the 25th January).

She suggested trying to get him to have his afternoon nap as soon as possible after his lunch. This might make him more likely to be tired around 7pm – instead of staying up to 9pm like he has been doing recently! And Yes, we should be cleaning his teeth but (again) let him play with the toothbrush and paste first.

I asked about the head shaking and the thumb sucking, but she said there wasn’t anything to worry about at this stage, but she did mention – which I wasn’t aware of – that Jamie is entitled to a medical check (same as the 6week check) with his GP at about the one year mark.

No comments: