Saturday 3 October 2009

Baby Massage and the Circle of Life

Over the last 3 weeks I have been taking Jamie to Baby Massage at the local Surestart centre. I don't think he really liked it and he certainly wasn't relaxed by the massage - in fact, he was more active than usual for 10.30 in the morning and spent every week being nosey and watching all the other babies and mothers / fathers. I think we can confirm he has ticklish feet and doesn't like his face being touched too much. Also, the fact he has just learnt to roll over (and over) means he actually does not like to be still when he has an opportunity to be off. The travel cot is coming out today so that I can put him in there when I am trying to get the jobs done.

What was good about the baby massage however, was that I met up with all of the mothers who attended my ante-natal group. Nicola (mentioned in previous blog entry) had a boy called William about 4 weeks after Jamie and he is already 24lbs! The twin girls arrived safe and sound-ish. They came 8 weeks early and had to stay in hospital for quite a bit but they are both looking fit and healthy now. In fact, all of the babies we had met in the bump stage are doing well!! I have swapped details with Nicole and the twins mum and hope to see them again next week at a 'Baby Peep' session.

This makes me feel better about the changes that are going on around us. Daddy has a new job. After starting one and leaving after 3 days, he has now been at the new one for 2 weeks and things are looking promising. We have both been saving hard and I have a nice little sum tucked away for when my maternity pay stops in December. We might even be able to afford an extension next year.

What is weird is the people around us. Some friends we have been on holiday with in previous years still have yet to meet Jamie and the last time we saw them we actually had not arranged to!! They don't have children and certainly won't be having any, but its almost as though they have written us off as not being interesting / worth seeing anymore.

And yet, my mind set HAS completely changed and my life DOES now revolve around Jamie - looking after him and making sure he is getting enough stimulation from me / other babies etc. Perhaps I have not made the effort with them for the same reasons? Other friends have also slipped by the wayside as I don't have the time (or energy) to arrange / organise get togethers. I should have gone to a Book Club this week with an old school friend but, as the time came to go, I knew I wouldn't make it in time and even if I had I would have probably fallen asleep at some point as it was way past my usual bedtime!! (I did read the book though). So meeting new people with similar interests and who are going through the same experiences is a blessing. I suppose its all to do with the circle of life.......

No comments: