Monday 31 December 2007

Self Help 2

The Mental Health Team I visited in November recommended Overcoming Depression by Paul Gilbert (2000) Robinson, London. I must admit; though I am not totally sure that I am 'suffering' from Depression (I feel its something that comes and goes rather than being with me all the time) I found it very useful. I have therefore highlighted a few of the main and - I think - most important points below:

Shoulds and musts and oughts. We feel very disappointed when things don’t turn out as the ‘should’ says. Depression is commonly associated with blocks to major life goals. It is often helpful therefore, to explore in what way you feel blocked in your goals and/or feel socially thwarted, frustrated and disappointed. This frustration and disappointment will relate to your expectations, hopes, aspirations and ideals. Are your ideals realistic? Are you disappointed because you feel ashamed at not making your ideals?

Emotions and their uses:
Anger tends to be brought into play when goals are blocked – it makes us try harder. It can also be used to retaliate against another person if he/she is the source of the blocking or threat. Anxiety is focused on threats – it gives us a sense of urgency, prompting us to do something to escape or reduce the potential harm of a threat. Disgust makes us want to expel noxious substances or turn away from them. Jealousy may be useful to ensure that actual or potential lovers stay loyal. Love cements bonds and makes people support and care for each other. Guilt makes us wary of exploiting or harming others, and prompts us to try to repair the relationship if we do.

Paul believes (as many others do) that depression is caused by automatic thinking. Once you begin to question your thoughts, you can begin to heal the depression. Think: What is the evidence that may support my belief and what is the evidence that may not support it? How would I typically see this if I were not depressed? To what degree therefore is this way of thinking reflecting my mood state rather than some ‘truth’? What alternatives might there be to this view? What other explanations may there be for this event? If I had a friend who felt like this, how would I help them to see this differently? How could I break this problem down into smaller chunks?

I wish you a Happy New Year - Wherever, Whoever, Whatever you may be!!

No comments: