Friday 16 May 2008

I finally met my Consultant....

....and I was ready for him as had written out a list of questions to raise with him to make sure I got all the answers I need. His young trainee 'Felix' who I met just before my operation was with him and it seemed as if they were prepared for us......just about as soon as we sat down my Consultant said 'We were aware of your umbilical hernia'.

I asked him to look at the lumps that had appeared around my scar but was re-assured that they were normal - haematomas - and he then explained what actually happened during the operation. They attempted the laparoscopy - laterally - but felt it unwise to go on after they caught some muscle. My consultant again explained the reasons for a laparoscopy and we discussed the issues of pregnancy, miscarriage and fertility. It was agreed I would return in a year for another scan to check on its status; but for now it will be left alone....

I think I feel better; although I have been drafting a letter to send to the Chief Executive with regards to some of the issues that arose during my treatment.

No comments: